Papa Bear - we love you always

Papa Bear - we love you always

Sunday, November 2, 2008

More mac and cheese

The kids and I are at the Bailey house tonight. And, I made mac and cheese again for the kids for dinner. When might I ask will I be able to make mac and cheese without staring off into Mom and Dad's room listening for that "hey"? Hannah listed to me as I reflected. When I put her in the bathtub she too reflected. She said she remembers Granddad helping her with her bath and how he would wrap her up in a big towel afterwards and take her into the living room and she would say "look at my new dress" except the dress would be her towel. And how Granddad would blow dry her hair straight, yes, I think I have that same memory.

I am working diligently helping to get ready for a garage sale. Helping Mom sort through this and that and more this and that and more this and that. So, you get the idea. Hannah and sat down at the computer and I noticed a red tin to the right of the keyboard. So, I opened the tin and it was some chocolate covered cookies from guess when, last December. Ah, memories.

While cleaning out the Arbonne products, Mom grabbed a white binder. In it was Algebra homework, so I asked Mom if she really needed that paperwork (thinking it was back to her college days) and she said no it was Lauren's and then I noticed the dates of the coursework and realized that it was from Fall 2007, when we were all trying to keep that delicate balance of "the rest of our life (work, job, family, school)" and "taking care of dad". We soon learned that the taking care of Dad pretty much was all we could do.

In almost every single thing I touch here I feel connected to Dad. Sitting in the living room, hanging out in the den, straightening the kitchen, sending Matt to the store, giving the kids a bath, helping mom organize paperwork.........

I've heard many say they have seen something that they knew was a "sign" when people they love pass away. Today, I was at lunch at Dickey's BBQ and Hannah says "mommy" to let me know that in the background the song, Stand by Rascall Flats was playing in the background.

Must get to sleep, please tell my mind to stop and sleep for a bit.

No comments:

Mike Bailey - Papa Bear