Papa Bear - we love you always

Papa Bear - we love you always

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Loads we carry

I filled out a survey on our hospice provider recently. One of the questions they asked was "While patient was under the care of ________ (insert provider name) did you participate in taking care of him/her?" Seriously. I laughed. Did we participate? Of course we did. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. That is pretty much all we did. We didn't do very much else. So, the answer to the question is not just yeah, but hell yeah.

And the quote for today "It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it." Lena Horne (1917 - ) American actress and singer

This load we are all carrying is hard but I guess there is some truth to that quote. It is how we choose to carry all of this that matters. I talked to one of Dad's fraternity brothers today. He is a dentist so I called in a favor as brother bear of this house needs some dental work. He asked me "How are you doing" and I seriously really didn't know how to answer. Was he really asking about us and all that has happened or was it just a casual question? I told him I was doing fine and things are just hard. He shared about a loss he had in his family and we shared how it changes almost everything and it makes things hard. He understood where I was coming from thankfully. He said to tell Mom hello.

And this quote "The life of man is like a game with dice; if you don't get the throw you want, you must show your skill in making the best of the throw you get." --Terence This is so true - none of us wanted to loose Dad this soon or this early or be without him now. We wanted him here to participate with us and do all the things Dad did. To call and check up on his sisters and Mom and hang out with his grandkids and worry about us and call and check on us and come home to fluff the house and worry about my mom. But my take on this quote for THIS situation is that I have to be thankful for the time I got with him and cherish every single memory and moment.

Ending with this quote: "If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears." -- Glenn Clark These are words that I can hear that Dad might of said to me, not in those exact words but he always had words of wisdom and ideas for whatever we sharted with him. I think those words and that quote is going to be helpful at least to me on moving forward on this journey."

Good night and God Bless............
Stephanie

No comments:

Mike Bailey - Papa Bear