Papa Bear - we love you always

Papa Bear - we love you always

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Changing the Toast Tradition

Morning everyone. Cannot say it is a good one. Dad is resting. His breathing has gone from 12 to 7. Not sure exactly what that means but I know that it can't be good. His pulse is also dropping from 64 to 60. Right now, we have a certified nursing assistant here with us. She has been here since about 10:00.

Jill and Lauren were up until about 3:00 visiting and looking through pictures to find good ones of Dad. There is a lot of them. My sweet aunts got me some medicine for my tooth. With my pain meds and that on board, I went to sleep for a little while. I woke up when Jill and Lauren came back in Dad's room. All three of us girls sat by Dad's bed. And cried and loved on him. At one point I told Dad that Jill was going to try and give him some more medicine. I think that almost got a reaction out of him. Or, it could have been my imagination.

Jill and Lauren both got pillows and put their heads on Dads bed and rested for a little bit. Then, they went to bed. I stayed up looking through pictures. Then, I noticed the rattling breathing. So, I got Mom up. We have given Dad the medicines we were supposed to and he has settled down some. I am thankful that he is resting peacefully and does not appear to be in pain.

I went into the kitchen and in keeping with Bailey tradition all of these months I made toast at 4:30 am. Except the toast this time wasn't for Dad but for Mom. Laddie the doggie looked sad. I told him I bet Mom didn't share as much toast with him as Dad would have. I really do not like the change in this tradition. It should be Dad eating the toast. Keeping us all up. All of those nights we were wishing we could rest and now pretty soon we will be able to. I am sad beyond words.

Family will be back tomorrow. Steve is making breakfast for us. Bacon and biscuits and gravy. At least that is what the rumors tell me. Oh, how I wish Dad would wake up and ask us "what is that smell" and say "close the door!" or "I'm cold" or "Where's Mama?" or "What's up"

I am going to go now and go check in on Mom and maybe try to get a few more hours sleep.

Stephanie

1 comment:

Shirley Wilcox said...

I hate to ring the phone but I did text Shannon that I will be there by 8:30 this morning. Ready to give out hugs and love and whatever...auntshirley

Mike Bailey - Papa Bear