Papa Bear - we love you always

Papa Bear - we love you always

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Keeping Busy

Report from Bailey house as best as I know it this morning: Dad is resting, he said "Jill Marie" and it was in fact "Jill". I know that was good. Dad was upset and did not want Mom to leave him and "get ready for work" (Dad's words). So, I believe he is more lucid than yesterday. I really always knew that Dad would rally at least a little bit. He ate a bite or two of yogurt. Jill, Mom and Matt are there at the house. I'm not............. I know some of you might say that I should be but I feel better being here and busy and maybe just a little hiding from the reality of everything.

My Aunt Shirley is there with my mom, her sister. She is helping take care of things with the house. Cleaning and cleaning and doing dishes. Mom is making phone calls. You know the kind of calls you really don't want to have to make. So, as hard as it is people I would suggest you write down in details ALL of your wishes as much as possible to the celebration of your life after you have gone to Heaven. Leave it in a safe place.

I know that I don't want to step foot in a funeral home or talk to a funeral director. That is just not Dad at all. Stuffy and cold and so impersonal. Not my daddy. Church, although warm and inviting to me just does not say dad either. I envision gathering around with friends and family and sharing stories. Yes, the stories. So, I'm asking that if you have any stories to share about my Daddy, then please e-mail them to me. I would like to put together a book of these for my mom and sisters. So I know it is not junk mail since I don't have all of your e-mail addresses........ please put in the subject line: A Story about Mike and e-mail me your story to: stephanie_lewis232@yahoo.com and please sign your name so I know who wrote it.

And, yes, I have a huge cavity in my tooth, two to be exact. So, much that it is either root canal or pull them. I guess that is to mirror the holes that are going to be in my heart very soon. Yikes!

I am at work today. It seems just so much more productive than sitting and waiting and crying and crying. I feel so much better when I have my lists and things I need to accomplish. Whether they be for Hayden's birthday or for work or for the kid's school reading night I just think that I will get through this so much better than if I sit and sit and think and think........ don't worry guys. I know at some point it will hit me and I will have to deal. Don't worry about that. Deal with it I will.

I called hospice to come to the house today to pick up the wheelchair and other items we had for Dad. He has not used them in such a long time. And I guess it will be good to get them out of the house so they do not serve as constant reminders every time you see them that these too are things that Dad will never do again. The call to hospice was difficult. Hopefully, these things will be gone soon.

I just placed a call to one of my Dad's fraternity brothers (who happens to be a dentist) to ask his opinion about my teeth and to give him an update on my dad's situation. He is to call me back soon. I do trust his opinion. The receptionist asked how Dad was doing. I replied "not good, he is preparing to move from this life". To which she replied, "I am so sorry, I really liked your dad"........................ Me, too!

1 comment:

Shirley Wilcox said...

the nurse came. Mike is remarkably awake and had Jill make toast and cranberry juice. He ate at least three bites. He and Shannon have been talking for a long time. The nurse came in and talked to Jill and said that he is still in decline but is in a temporary rally. She said this is a good thing b/c he appears to be more peaceful and perhaps he has let go of some things. She is going to come once each day so Crisis care is not on for now. He is totally with it right now and is in there messing with his bed. Shannon is putting on her makeup and drying her hair. I still haven't seen him today but I can hear him talking and it is so different from last night when I thought it was the end. My emotions are so weird right now.
Blessings for now...love xoxoxoxox aunt shirley

Mike Bailey - Papa Bear