Papa Bear - we love you always

Papa Bear - we love you always

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Stop Meddling in my Business!

Stephanie here......

Last night as I was wrapping up at work, my cell phone went off. When I picked it up the display read "Dad's Cell". My heart did a pitter patter, you know the kid of pitter patter you get as a little kid. After all Daddy is calling. My heart also dropped as I wondered what he might need, did he need me? I answered the phone and his first question to me was .......... "Are you pissed at me?" Oh my goodness Dad no........ I guess I had not called him in a few days (after all it was Wednesday) and I saw him last on Sunday. So he thought I might be mad at him? Heavens no! I love you papa bear. We spent about 30 minutes talking about his day. How the nurse had been by and they had a discussion about some new medications and how his wounds were all looking so good, she was impressed! We talked about the fact that Jill was leaving and would not be back until Sunday. I reminded him that she would be back on Saturday night. We had lots of small talk that I will forever cherish about the ins and outs of both of our days. It was so nice to be back in time to the old dad.

Then............. I was wrapping a few presents in my bedroom last night when I heard my cell phone buzzing in my coat pocket..... and you know you get that dread in your heart when your phone rings that late. And so I didn't get to it in time and I saw I had missed call from Dad. I called him back and he asked me why I did not call him when I got home? Huh? Was I supposed to? And then I wasn't sure if he thought he was calling Lauren and Jill who happened to be out shopping. And then you hear Mom is the background waking up. I'm guessing he woke up from his sleep and was a little disoriented. So, when Mom questioned him he was BUSTED and so he quickly hung up (ha!)!! I called them back to check in on the regular house phone and talked to Matt who was up at that hour of the night. I was shocked. Then Matt gave dad the phone and the conversation went something like this:

Dad: "What are you doing calling SO late?"
Me: Just calling to check on you guys, you just called me.
Dad: I did?
Me: Yes
Dad: I personally called you?
Me: Yes, I was just checking in to make sure you guys were okay.
Dad: We just woke up from a deep sleep, me and mom............... my cell phone was in water.
Me: big sigh......... Told dad I was airing out my house from the paint fumes and it seems he did not remember our earlier conversation and I was jolted back into our reality.

Fast forward to today. I called dad about 10:30 to say hello. He didn't answer but quickly called me back on his cell. Yeah! He said he did not sleep well last night that Mom was dozing and he was trying to get a nap in. I asked him what the plans for the day were and he said to catch up on some rest and I asked about the rest of the day and he reminded me Jill was leaving and that for anything else I would have to ask my sisters!

I then called Lauren to check in and he heard us talking......... Lauren said to me "Try to get as much as you can done." Dad chimed in "Yes, like talking to your painters." To which I replied, "Yes, stop meddling in my business......... " To which Dad replied "Like you don't meddle in mine, HA HA!" Love those little Dadisms and comments............ love them.

I am at home today.............. painters and window cleaners and house cleaners all getting ready for me to host Kevin's extended family Christmas. Hannah and Hayden's school holiday parties are today at 2:00 so I need to be at the school at 1:45. It is now almost noon and have a million things to do on my do list.

Now I have even less time........... am off to pack for Mom and Dad's, clean up the game room, make a list for Wal-mart and get ready for the school parties.

Wish me luck!
Stephanie

1 comment:

Shirley Wilcox said...

Hey, Steph, just saw your post. It was under Lauren's and I didn't know you wrote first! By now you are getting ready to go to school parties -- I remember those, such fun and yet hectic. Poor teachers, you know they are relieved to start the holidays sans children...love you very much and pray you can get done what you need to get done. Love you love you love you - AS

Mike Bailey - Papa Bear