Papa Bear - we love you always

Papa Bear - we love you always

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

An update from Tuesday

Stephanie here…………

Text update I received from Jill yesterday at 11:26 am on 1/15/08:

"Dad slept from 12-2.Woke up coughing his head off. Back to sleep at 2:30 and wide awake at 3:00. Awake til 5:15. Had mac and cheese and almond steamer. Slept til 8:50."

I am stressing though that Dad got the cough from me. I promise I washed my hands a million gillion times when I was over there last. I am still feeling very under the weather. This cough will not go away. Still green goo. I need to call my doctor.

I talked to Dad several times yesterday. At one point he was eating mac and cheese and fish sticks. Yeah, more protein!! And then another time, he was having grits. Everytime I talked to him he said he was sleepy and was going to try and take a nap. Sometimes it is very easy to understand him on the phone other times the words seems so garbled.

Last night, Jill and Matt got to go to a musical on some tickets Matt won. Shirley and Mom hung out with Dad. Talked to Mom last night and she sounded good and relaxed. I know it helps when you have the companionship of your sister.

No reports from Camp Bailey this morning. I am at work today. Please pray that I am able to focus on my responsibilities here. I am feeling at the end of my rope emotionally. It was a very interesting night at Camp Lewis last night. I’ll update on that later.

1 comment:

Shirley Wilcox said...

Steph, please see doc about "green goo." You probably need an/a different antibiotic. Green usually means infection, right?

I had a sweet time last night with your dad and mom. I was amazed at how "busy" he is, rummaging for this, asking for that, cleaning is fingernails, tightening his glasses, directing this that and the other. Your mom went to the kitchen and he called her! Unbelievable. What did sick people do before cell phones! You mom called me this morning frustrated b/c last night after I left she said he immediately switched from pleasant to rude and demanding. I so feel for all of you. I can't explain much except to say that when it was apparent he was getting sleepy, I concentrated on basically soothing and relaxing him b/c he is so not relaxed and guess that's why he's constantly busy and uncomfortable. He wanted me to "lay hands on him" which is just touching him, nothing spooky, and praying softly and agreeing with God that He is his peace and comfort. He put the ear thingys in and listed to the new scripture meditation cd and I stroked his arm softly and he went into a deep sleep. He was sleeping soundly (for an hour) when the dogs woke him up jarringly. Shannon had made him egg and muffins and he was eating when I went home. He called me this morning to report that Shannon was off to work at a good time.

I picked up on something that might be helpful: I believe he needs more "tending to his spirit" than "tending to his medicine/physical needs, etc." When his spiritual needs are being met, he will be more relaxed and more at peace and require less "tending." I might be off base but he craves to be relaxed and settled and rested. I told him when he gets good rest he will feel renewed. These spotty 5 to 10minute naps are wearing him out and everyone else out.

Loved ones, I don't have the answers and am not telling you what to do by any means. My suggestion would be to not react when he is ugly but to return the retort with gentleness and "let me help you relax" and even mute the tv and talk softly to him. Stroke his arm and hummm. He looks so bad to me and so very tired.

Assure him that he can trust you see that things are taken care of and that other people who love you will help, too.

Ask God to give you the exact words to say to him and you will be surprised what comes out of your mouth!

Gotta get to work. Love you all
Aunt Squirrely Shirley

Mike Bailey - Papa Bear