Papa Bear - we love you always

Papa Bear - we love you always

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Wake Up!

That is how we started our day. At 12:15 am, with Dad telling Mom "Shannon, get up, you need to get ready for work. You said you wanted to get their early today. What time did you want to get there?" To say the least, Mom was not amused by this. When I tried to correct Dad and clue him into the time, he held up his finger as if to ssh me. Almost like he was trying to get a rise out of Mom. Then, as I was cleaning up the room, Dad told Mom "Stephanie is going through YOUR mail." Not! Funny!

Let's see to recap our night:
  • Fried eggs, over easy and toast at 12:30 am, coffee too
  • little sleep one minute naps
  • lots of pain medicine, almost too the point I worried I gave too much
  • sleep at about 3:45 am for about 1:00 hour at the most
  • Awake again at around 4:30, more coffee, but not fresh coffee, a girl has to have her limits
  • Finally awake to get mom up at 6:00 ish......... he kept called and saying "GET UP, GET UP" He must have missed the part where I told him that Mom was sleeping in Lauren's room tonight. So I went and woke her up.
  • I crashed around 7:30 or at least tried to. Dad says to Mom, "why can't SHE get up and HELP". To which Mom replies, "Mike she is tired" to which Dad replies, "well we got sleep" People, I really think he believes he is resting and is rested.
  • Dad and Steph take a nap from 8:00 ish to almost 9:00
  • Mom is supposed to be getting ready for work but falls asleep in the chair waiting to give Dad his shot.
  • Dad wakes up, sleepy Stephanie tries to wake up too!
  • Mom gives Dad heparin shot, doctors are worried about blood clots in Dad's legs. He has swelling. We are not sure what is the cause as it could be the cancer. Jill is researching some other medicine options for us to try and help dad's anxiety and so he won't have too many halluncenations
  • Mom gets ready for work. You know it is really hard to focus on getting ready when you are pulled in so many directions
  • Mom is ready to go to work. Matt has left for his doctor. Dad thinks he is going to be by himself. He does not know I am staying. He is really upset with things and mad, serious frown on his face. Mom tries to resolve his issues. I tell Mom to just go. He'll be fine.
  • I leave Dad in his room by himself for a few minutes to get over whatever is bugging him. You know sort of like a time out.

The rest of the day has been pretty good. Dad and I napped today from about 11:30 to 12:30 and we:

  • Had Mac and Cheese for lunch
  • Matt and I had lunch
  • Matt did the dishes
  • Stephanie cleaned up apple butter and glass from something that fell from the fridge.
  • Sorted mail (sorry mom), I tried to bring Dad magazines but he said really mean "THIS IS NOT what I asked you to bring me".
  • Matt went back to Wal-mart to pick up prescriptions.
  • Rested
  • Dad calls Lauren and tells her that he needs her to go to Spain and fix a clock, an antique one. He tells Mom some of the same.
  • Took pain meds but we have not had much liquid oxdose today. We have one pill due right now.
  • Stephanie attempted to sort through all of the rest of the stuff from the storage but I did not get very far.
  • Lauren is back from school
  • Mom is still working

Dad is very anxious I can tell. I tried to tell him it was okay to go. That we would be okay. But that conversation did not go very well. He began to tell me that Lauren knew more about him dying and how and everything. Doubt it Dad. Today he point blank looked and me and asked me if he was dying. And seriously, how are you supposed to answer that question? I told them that eventually we are all going to die. He said what do you know that I don't know. I really think that the feels like we are keeping stuff from him. Whatever. It is SO hard to have patience during this time.

My cell just rang and Dad called me. I answered and said hello. Dad replied "how did I get you on this line?" You see we have his cell programmed for speed dial to call us. He said "oh, Matt is 5" and hung up. Oh, well.............

Gotta go!

Stephanie

No comments:

Mike Bailey - Papa Bear